LEITAT is a non-profit Spanish Research Technology Organisation (RTO) recognised by the Catalan Government and by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation. With a history of more than 100 years, LEITAT develops R&D activities in the areas of materials sciences, environment, surface treatments, biotechnologies and renewable energies with deep knowledge and experience in technological transfer to several industrial sectors.
Led by the Projects Department, LEITAT takes part each year in many projects financed by the regional and national governments, participates in projects co-funded by the European Commission, and develops private R&D projects funded by industrial partners.
The project managers have a wide experience in research projects at national and international level. LEITAT is very well established in the international R&D arena thanks to a continuous and committed participation in various European and other schemes. As far as LEITAT's participation in the 7th Framework Programme (FP7) is concerned, we have taken part in more than 100 European R&D projects with more than 20 M€ of funding received from the European Commission. Regarding Horizon 2020, LEITAT is participating in 34 large research projects and 9 of them are coordinated by us.
Therefore, LEITAT is recognized as the one of the most important Technological Centers in Spain.
LEITAT takes part and works as a technology partner in several initiatives that demonstrate its reliability as a dynamic agent in technology transfer and innovation planning in companies, entities and institutions, through different national and international organisations. At the present time, LEITAT participates in 16 European knowledge network platforms.
LEITAT has 9 R&D divisions: Advanced Materials (AM), Biomedical engineering (BIOMED), Devices, Design & Engineering (D2E), Environmental & Bio Technologies (EBT), Human & Environmental Health & Safety (HEHS), Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), Sustainability (SUS), Tribology, and the Scientific Technical Services (STA). Each of the divisions is set up by multidisciplinary teams with know-how and experience in different knowledge areas and disciplines.
- Processes of synthesis of polymers and (bio)polymers, nanoparticles, nanofibres and micro and nanocapsules
- Formulation of raw materials through pilot processes as composites, nanocomposites and biocomposites extrusion, electrospinning, preparation of inks, coatings and paints, concrete mixture processes and stabilized products
- Application of new materials by new techniques such as injection, blow moulding, inkjet, screen printing, padding and plasma and sun-gel treatments.
- Therapy of chronic diseases like Cancer, Inflammatory, Autoimmune, and Angiogenic diseases
- Diagnosis, prognosis and monitoring of diseases, treatments, food components, contaminants, infections, vaccines: biomarkers, reagents, diagnostic kits and tools
- Identification of new indications for marketed and clinical-phase drugs (reprofiling)
Devices, Design & Engineering
- Devices: design, manufacturing, characterization and new application development of sensors, biosensors and telecommunication antennas
- Electronics: design, assembly and characterization, control and integration of energy systems (photovoltaic, energy storage, thermoelectricity and bio-electrochemical fuel cells)
- Advanced manufacturing: composite processing, robotics, additive manufacturing, printed electronics and ionic liquid technologies
Environmental & Bio Technologies
- Water: treatmen, sanitisation, electrochemical processes and advances oxidation processes, membrane technology and new selective materials
- Waste: mechanical,chemical and physical-chemical (hydrolysis, ozonisation, sonification), thermal treatment, material/energy assessment
- Bioproducts from renewable sources, enzymatic biocatalysis, bioprocesses, chemical synthesis, active ingredients in innovative consumer goods, applied microbiology
Human & Environmental Health & Safety
- Environmental Risk Assessment of emerging contaminants, metals and nanoparticles such as terrestrial and aquatic ecotoxicological studies
- Monitoring of nanomaterials release from nanoproducts along their life cycle and development of exposure scenarios
- Life cycle assessment (LCA) analysis of products and processes, including nanotechnology-based products
Fast Moving Consumer Goods
- Detergents for clothing care, surfaces, hand and automatic dishwashers for the consumer goods sector, development and assessment of new cosmetic products
- Stability, microbiological, enzymatic activity, toxicity and in vitro security tests complemented by our knowledge in textiles, materials and surfaces
- Tests on consumers, smelling assessment and custom-made tests helping marketing in its communication strategy
Scientific Technical Services
- Analytical assessment and expirmental support in various industrial areas
- Development of new analytical methods and optimisation of existing ones
- Specialisation in the characterisation of new materials and in the environmental analysis
- Incorporation of environmental criteria into the design of a product/service in order to reduce the negative impact on the environment along its life cycle
- Voluntary instruments which enable the organisation to reach a high level of environmental protection an a compromise on a continuous improvement
- Environmental awareness campaigns, trainings and seminars
- Experimental design, lubricity, corrosion protection, oxidation stability, analysis of elements, foaming
- Screening, assessment and validation of the formulations and selection of appropriate tests to properly solve customer needs
- Effective use of experimental design to optimize the formulation and performance and certification for obtaining the European ECO label